POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to make object be transparent with alpha channel in the final image? : Re: How to make object be transparent with alpha channel in the final image? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:25:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to make object be transparent with alpha channel in the final image?
From: Rune
Date: 11 Sep 2007 20:46:34
Message: <46e736ea$1@news.povray.org>
Zeger Knaepen wrote:
>    pigment {
>        camera_view{[mask-scene camera settings]}
>        pigment_map {
>            [0 rgbt 1]
>            [1 camera_view{[original camera settings]}
>        }
>    }

This does not create the correct gradient. I'll demonstrate with a simpler
gradient:

// Incorrect:
color_map {
    [0, red 1]
    [1, rgbt 1]
}

// Correct:
color_map {
    [0, red 1]
    [1, red 1 transmit 1]
}

The former incorrectly gives rgb <1.0,0.5,0.5> transmit 0.5 halfway through.
That's a semi-transparent pink, not a semi-transparent red.
The latter correctly gives rgb <1,0,0> transmit 0.5 halfway through.

Likewise, if you want to create a patterned blend between some MyPigment and
a transparent pigment, then you must use for the transparent pigment a
pigment identical to MyPigment, except that all transmit values are 1. Yes,
it's cumbersome.

However, in the particular situation we're dealing with, there is a
workaround. Some image manipulation software, like Photoshop, Paint Shop
Pro, and probably The Gimp, has a feature to remove a matte. Basically, if
you open the image created using your proposed method and then use the
feature "Remove white matte", then the incorrect effect of using a
transparent pigment that's white will be removed.

Rune
--
http://runevision.com